APPLICATIONS CLOSE MONDAY 26th JUNE 2017
1-Year Diploma In Musical Theatre – Full time
17th September 2017 – 4th July 2018
Sundays 1pm – 8pm, Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays 9.30am – 5.30pm
Associated Studios take pride in developing performers of the highest calibre. This Diploma course offers one year of intensive practical training in Dance, Singing and Acting, the skills required to become an outstanding Musical Theatre performer. You will be challenged and nurtured, inspired to work to the best of your ability.
At Associated Studios we are passionate about Musical Theatre and have forged strong and trusted links with eminent industry professionals over many years. Through this close association, we understand industry requirements and have a network of dedicated and highly experienced theatre practitioners who stand ready to offer you help and advice whilst you are studying with us, and after you embark on your career.
Courses at Associated Studios provide unparalleled individual attention in order to develop you as a person, as an individual and as an artist. You will need to be prepared to work hard, push yourself to the limit and be available to grow and learn.
All our coaches are leading industry practitioners including Musical Directors, Directors, Vocal Coaches, Choreographers, Writers, Composers and experienced Performers (see Meet the Team on our website).
The Course Director is Founding Principal of Associated Studios and West End Vocal Coach Leontine Hass (www.leontinehass.com)
Singing and Performance Classes include:
- Performance classes with leading Musical Directors, Performance Coaches and Directors
- Vocal Technique classes building the vocal, physical and mental stamina required to succeed in a competitive business as well as encouraging a rigorous practice regime
- Repertoire classes to learn how to choose successful repertoire and discover and develop your unique selling point and casting
- ‘Working Sessions’ with Musical Directors and Vocal Coaches allowing you to have your repertoire and backing tracks recorded and worked on in a relaxed and productive environment
- 32-Bar classes teaching you how to cut songs appropriately and how to give of your best in a short space of time
- Mock Audition classes focusing on choosing two contrasting songs for the shows in the standard repertoire (one show at a time). These classes develop your presentation skills, build your Audition Rep folder, develop your ability to make specific artistic and musical choices and teach you to ‘lengthen your long rope’.
- Composer project classes focusing on particular Musical Theatre composers and teaching you style, performance history and furthering your knowledge of Musical Theatre History
- Performance confidence classes addressing the fact that many performers deal with anxiety, stage fright and lack of confidence. These sessions allow you to work through these challenges in a supportive and safe environment.
- One to one singing lessons with leading vocal coaches.
Acting and Voice Classes include:
- Text Classes including work on Shakespeare
- Classes exploring Method
- Classes exploring how to handle heightened the acting style required in Panto etc
- Classes guiding you to choose suitable monologues and speeches
- Voice classes including work on RP and General American
- Sight reading for acting auditions
- Scenes classes
Dance and Movements classes include:
- Ballet classes
- Jazz classes
- Tap classes
- Musical Theatre Routine Classes
- Alexander Technique
- Pilates Classes
Industry classes include:
- Sessions with Agents, Casting Directors and Industry experts
- Marketing classes teaching you how to write a good industry standard CV, getting your head shots right, Agents, Theatre terminology and other skills
Projects throughout the course include:
- A public production. The show will be performed in a theatre after a production period of approximately three weeks. In this time all regular classes will be suspended and replaced by company rehearsals
- Recording a demo in a state of the art recording studio for use for Spotlight and self promotion
- Song & Dance Project
- Monthly Open Mic Nights in Soho Central London
- A showing as well as a video presentation for Agents and Casting Directors
- Industry Panels
- The performance of a Cabaret
- New writing projects working with leading contemporary Musical Theatre Composers
The Associated Studios Diploma in Musical Theatre
Students will be assessed in classes and projects throughout the course and marked accordingly. Those students who successfully achieve the required standard will be awarded an Associated Studios Diploma in Musical Theatre.
Please apply using the form below, or e-mail your CV, headshot and a covering letter to email@example.com
Individual Audition Fee: £30 (non-refundable)
Please prepare two contrasting Musical Theatre Songs and a monologue. Songs and the monologue should be no longer than 3 mins each.
Audition Dates: We audition monthly throughout the year. For information on our Workshop Audition days please contact 02073852038
“Having worked professionally as an actor and a singer/musician for over ten years I have had the opportunity to study with some remarkable mentors. None have unleashed the passion, joy, focus and clarity of sound that Leontine Hass has, by virtue of her extraordinary breadth of knowledge, vast experience and her ability to immediately assess and tap into an individual’s vocal potential.”AS Alumni Doug Hansell recently starred in ‘Titanic’ at the Charing Cross Theatre.
“Since doing the first Associated Studios course I went from strength to strength – I secured a great new agent who I’ve been with for many years now and who I count as a friend and a rock… and have now wracked up two West End contracts, an Arena tour around America and I know there’s still great things ahead. Leontine Hass and the directors, MD’s and choreographers from Associated Studios have remained in my life as friends, mentors and as fellow professionals. When you’re ‘resting’ these people will be the ones who drive you forward.” AS alumni David O’Mahoney – starred in ‘The Bodyguard’ with Beverley Knight and currently plays Swing in the London West End production of ‘Beautiful’.
FEES and FINANCE
- £10,200 for 1 year full time course (£3,400 per term)
- Following acceptance of an offer to join the course, the deposit for the course is 25% of the full fee (50% for overseas students)
- Course fees may be paid in instalments. Each termly fee of £3,400 is due one month before the beginning of term.
- Students may apply for a PCDL Loan
The Associated Studios are a Professional and Career Development Loans registered Learning Provider, registration number 21311. A Professional and Career Development Loan is a commercial bank loan that you can use to help pay for work-related learning. For further information on financial assistance to support your learning, please visit the GOV.UK website or contact the National Careers Service on 0800 100 900.
MASTERS CONVERSION OPTION
A graduate student who is undertaking or has completed this one year course can apply for credits for prior learning on the MA Ensemble Theatre at Rose Bruford. Students would apply to Rose Bruford to receive an exemption for 30-60 credits of the Rose Bruford MA programme. Were this option to go ahead, Rose Bruford would organise research methodologies for them around the commitment to Associated Studios.
The Associated Studios Diploma in Musical Theatre
Students will be assessed in classes and projects throughout the course and marked accordingly. Those students who successfully achieve the required standard will be awarded an Associated Studios London Diploma in Musical Theatre.
We welcome international applicants. Please note that non UK residents will need to pay a 50% deposit to secure their place.
If you are unable to attend an audition, your application should also include a DVD or demo tape of at least two contrasting songs, and nominate two industry members of standing to support your application. Please complete the form on the right. Alternatively, send your application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or to the following address:
Associated Studios London, The Hub @ St Alban’s Fulham, 2 Margravine Road, London W6 8HJ, UNITED KINGDOM
Please note: The Associated Studios London are unable to assist with any visa or migration related issues. To verify you fulfil the criteria to enter the UK, please check with the UKBA.
All Non UK residents will need to pay a 50% deposit to secure their place, residents that are non UK nationals but UK residents will pay the usual 25%.